Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31321 - in /tools/make/trunk: ChangeLog GNUstep.conf.

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31321 - in /tools/make/trunk: ChangeLog GNUstep.conf.in configure configure.ac
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 02:06:48 -0700

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Nicola Pero
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Well, if /usr/local/lib is not in ld.so.conf (it isn't by default on most
> Linux distributions), running ldconfig won't help.  So, we'd also have to
> hack
> /etc/ld.so.conf upon installation to add /usr/local/lib/ (or equivalent
> action on other unices) ... that is getting very system-specific
> and installation-unfriendly - we don't really want to do that.

agreed we don't want to do that,
but the gnu coding standards specify default install dirs here:

http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Directory-Variables.html#Directory-Variables

not to mention that this is a problem shared by ALL gnu software (on
systems that behave like you describe), and they all have a common
solution, where the gnustep solution is highly gnustep specific.