Re: Moving CoreBase into Base

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Moving CoreBase into Base
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 10:11:46 +0100

On 16 Sep 2010, at 17:53, Quentin Mathé wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> With the removal of the typed stream inclusion (r31248), we get new warnings
> (e.g. implicit memset, memcpy etc.) in GNUstep-based code because string.h is
> not imported transparently anymore.
> Previously NSObject.h was importing objc/typedstream.h which itself imported
> objc/hash.h which was the one importing string.h. So by through Foundation.h
> we were getting string.h automatically.
>
> Instead of keeping things as is, I suggest to include string.h in
> Foundation.h (or NSObject.h possibily but unlikely). But a better solution
> would be to move CoreBase into Base to offer a better compatibility with Mac
> OS X out of the box. The CoreBase compilation would be still be an option
> that can be turned off.

Long ago, when I thought I might have time to do it, I was planning on
implementing CoreFoundation based on GNUstep-base, and including it as part of
the base package .. so I have no difficulty with that idea.

However, I think it would be good to maintain clear separation ... with
CoreBase being a subproject, and continuing to be built as a separate library
(so not quite the same as the existing additions subproject, which is actually
merged into the base library except on OSX where its a separate library used
with Foundation).

You could have the gnustep-base package build and install both by default, but
have an easy configure-time option to control exactly what gets built/installed.