Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31321 - in /tools/make/trunk: ChangeLog GNUstep.conf.

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31321 - in /tools/make/trunk: ChangeLog GNUstep.conf.in configure configure.ac
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 12:01:23 +0200 (CEST)

>> Well, if /usr/local/lib is not in ld.so.conf (it isn't by default on most
>> Linux distributions), running ldconfig won't help.
>
> Really?  I would suggest that distributions which don't have /usr/local/lib
> in ld.so.conf  do not use/conform to the FHS ...

Eg, Linux RedHat/CentOS does not have /usr/local/lib in ld.so.conf.  Yet that
is where you are expected
to install software from source.  After you install the software from source,
you have to manually add
that line to ld.so.conf, then run ldconfig. ;-)

I'll accept Matt's point though that this problem (having to make sure
libraries in /usr/local/lib
are found by the linker) is common with almost every other piece of software on
the planet and so
the average Unix user already knows how to fix it.  Instead, in the case of the
GNUstep layout,
the solution (sourcing GNUstep.sh) is GNUstep-specific. :-)

(still, sourcing GNUstep.sh does seem simpler to me)

> Remember, I'm not advocating switching to FHS as the default ... I'm
> advocating switching to using
> the native layout as our default.  For systems where FHS is not native, we
> would need to add another
> layout file.

If this is for new users, having a common layout used almost everywhere may
help them as it's easier
to find information.  So I'm not too keen to push this 'native' layout idea.

Btw we're saying "FHS" but GNUstep really just does the usual Unix thing and
installs binaries in xxx/bin,
libraries in xxx/lib, includes in xxx/include and stuff that doesn't fit in the
above dirs in xxx/share.
We call it "FHS" mostly to appeal to the Linux distributions, but I'd expect it
to be about the same
as what every Unix does ... there isn't much that is FHS-specific at all.

Thanks