Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31321 - in /tools/make/trunk: ChangeLog GNUstep.conf.

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31321 - in /tools/make/trunk: ChangeLog GNUstep.conf.in configure configure.ac
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 11:31:10 +0100

If you configure GNUstep using the FHS layout on *BSD, it puts stuff in completely the wrong place (it puts GNUstep.conf in the wrong place with any configuration, unfortunately).

For example ? (ignoring GNUstep.conf which we agree it's wrong on FHS as well)

Unless you explicitly set the prefix, it doesn't put things under / usr/local (or didn't, last time I accidentally used FHS mode), it put things in /usr, which is reserved for stuff in the base system that is not required to boot single-user mode. I didn't look much beyond that.

That is no different than what FHS/Linux expect.  And it should work ;-)

--with-layout=fhs (the default that we are probably switching to) should use /usr/local/

--with-layout-fhs-system (reserved for distribution packagers) should use /usr/

Of course, if it didn't work for you it sounds like there may be a bug - it's worth testing all of this again if it's going to be the default! ;-)

By the way, there is a relatively simple way of using the GNUstep layout in FHS-compliant mode: install in /opt/GNUstep. FHS explicitly allows installing add-on software in /opt/{package name}/. Of course, many FHS-compliant Linux distros don't allocated adequate space for /opt, or don't create it at all, so this doesn't actually work...

Yep

Thanks