Re: Moving CoreBase into Base

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Moving CoreBase into Base
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 16:15:17 +0100

On 17 Sep 2010, at 10:11, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

> However, I think it would be good to maintain clear separation ... with
> CoreBase being a subproject, and continuing to be built as a separate library
> (so not quite the same as the existing additions subproject, which is
> actually merged into the base library except on OSX where its a separate
> library used with Foundation).

That's exactly what I thought I was suggesting - sorry if it wasn't clear.

> You could have the gnustep-base package build and install both by default,
> but have an easy configure-time option to control exactly what gets
> built/installed.

Well, we'll need to install the CoreBase headers anyway if we want the string.h
and other stuff to be included by Foundation.h (as it is on OS X.

Nicola: I wonder if this alters the performance of precompiled headers - the
preprocessed Foundation.h header on OS X is significantly larger than with
GNUstep, in part because it includes all of this other stuff.