Suggestion... renaming base, gui to Foundation and AppKit

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Suggestion... renaming base, gui to Foundation and AppKit
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 14:04:15 -0400

Hey Guys,

It would make live a little easier to do this for a number of reasons:

1) It would alleviate explaining to new people what gui and base
are... every time I talk about GNUstep I have to say "the gnustep
equivalent of AppKit/Foundation, etc..."
2) It would eliminate confusion between CoreBase and the "base" which
is in the "core" of GNUstep.... i.e. CoreFoundation vs. Foundation. :)
3) The original reason we did this was due to the fear of the
Trademark police, but other projects which have attempted to implement
Cocoa have used the names "Foundation" and "AppKit" without any
problems.   As it is with class names "NSObject" etc...  so it is with
the directory names.   Indeed we even use Foundation and AppKit when
they're installed... so there's no reason not to rename the
directories under core to Foundation and AppKit (perhaps not with the
capitalization... but that's debatable).

Anyway... any thoughts?

Thanks, GC
--
Gregory Casamento - GNUstep Lead/Principal Consultant, OLC, Inc.
(240)274-9630 (Cell)