Re: Native ObjC exceptions configure test broken with libobjc2

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Native ObjC exceptions configure test broken with libobjc2
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 19:31:15 +0100

On 18 Sep 2010, at 19:24, Nicola Pero wrote:

> I'd suggest that libobjc2 could include a minimal Object implementation.
> Having Object is handy to perform simple configure tests and both the Apple
> and GNU runtime include a minimal implementation for that reason ... it would
> make sense for libobjc2 to do so too ;-)

Actually, this test will fail with Apple's Modern Runtime too - Object no
longer implements +new.  If you define __OBJC2__ (which recent Apple compilers
do, you only get these two methods on Object:

+class;
-(BOOL) isEqual:anObject;

+new is no longer allowed, so there is no defined way of creating Object
instances.  Using Object is generally not sensible, so I don't support it in
libobjc2.

> Else, if you have a patch to get the test to work with libobjc2 as it is,
> I'd happily accept it.

I've already fixed most of the configure scripts to define their own root
class, if they need it.  It should be trivial to copy one of those across into
this test.