Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31321 - in /tools/make/trunk: ChangeLog GNUstep.conf.

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31321 - in /tools/make/trunk: ChangeLog GNUstep.conf.in configure configure.ac
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 12:25:47 +0200 (CEST)

Summarizing the discussion, the changes that we want to make to gnustep-make
are:

 * make 'fhs' the default filesystem layout (so, by default everything is
installed in /usr/local/
   using a Unix layout) (with the exception of apple-apple-apple because there
people are using
   gnustep-make to compile Apple stuff, they're not really installing GNUstep)

 * add help for how to use each filesystem layout (printed at the end of
configure)

 * if installing into /usr/local/, install GNUstep.conf into
/usr/local/etc/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf
   instead of /etc/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf

 * add a --remember-prefix-and-layout and --forget-prefix-and-layout options to
configure (or similar)
   that will enable remembering the prefix and layout across configure
invocations.  This will be
   disabled by default as it would confuse new users (and we're picking all the
default options to
   be best for new users).

 * update all the documentation everywhere to discuss the 'fhs' layout ...
inside and outside
   of gnustep-make

 * (potentially, this is a new idea) rename 'fhs' to 'unix' ?

Comments/suggestions welcome ... Is there anything I forgot ?

Has anyone got a strong opinion that something in the above list is "wrong" ?
;-)

Thanks