Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31321 - in /tools/make/trunk: ChangeLog GNUstep.conf.

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31321 - in /tools/make/trunk: ChangeLog GNUstep.conf.in configure configure.ac
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 14:31:42 -0400

FHS is more than just a buzzword.   While I don't agree with some of
it's more extremist adherents I do see some advantages to it.

One is that by putting the GNUstep libraries into the places called
for by the FHS it makes it easier for people to use GNUstep libraries
outside of gnustep-make.   This was brought up in a previous email,
but I'll re-iterate here...

The fact that we need to source GNUstep.sh is a symptom of the fact
that GNUstep isn't following the FHS.  No matter if it's done manually
or inserted into the profile script or some other mechanism... it
shouldn't need to be done AT ALL.   While we're all used to this as
experienced users, people just starting out in GNUstep are having a
difficult time of it on both Windows and on Linux because GNUstep
violates many things that most Linux users consider to be "given."

One thing I'll never bend on is the idea that app wrappers should be
broken up into the /usr/share or /usr/local/share (as appropriate)
directories.   The idea that GNUstep libraries and headers should live
in the standard places isn't, however, ridiculous.   Experienced users
can keep their setup by setting the layout explicitly to gnustep.

A comment that was made a while back which I feel is important to
reiterate is this (I'm paraphrasing here):

"Because one new user has trouble with installation, now I have to set
the layout explicitly even though I've been using GNUstep for years?"

The answer to the question is "yes."   The reason is... it is
important for us to get new users on board and using GNUstep and, to
do this, we need to be easy to understand and easy for new
users/developers to use and understand.

All of that being said, the FHS is not a panacea.   Other systems,
such as BSD, don't follow the FHS (nor should they).   I'm wondering
now if the build system should try to detect if it's on BSD, Linux,
etc and use the appropriate layout for that system.

GC