Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31321 - in /tools/make/trunk: ChangeLog GNUstep.conf.

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31321 - in /tools/make/trunk: ChangeLog GNUstep.conf.in configure configure.ac
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 00:14:18 +0200

Hi
The reason is that we are making changes to make GNUstep more "standard" for
the average
Unix user.  And standard configure scripts don't magically pull out
installation directories
by looking at a similar package already installed somewhere on the machine.
That would
be confusing for the average new "Unix" user who expects configure to obey the
flags that it
is passed and nothing else.

No matter what they are doing, they would not expect that behaviour, and would
be very annoyed
when they discover that configure is behaving in some different, unusual and
surprising way
(no matter how clever it is).

by learning more about the FHS and GNUstep layout differencies, I learned that even for the GNUstep layout we create links to the binary executables of each applications inside the Tools dir. I think this is dirty and it leaves garbage around. Application should be started using openapp / gopen. Or using NSWorkspace.

While this link is sensible in the FHS layout, it is expendable with the GNUstep one. Can it be made an option? Supposing to configure make with the gnustep layout and this option disabled, no link should be created for the apps.

Sadly the library links need to remain...

Riccardo