Re: how to track down GNUstep leaks on non-Apple platforms?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: how to track down GNUstep leaks on non-Apple platforms?
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 10:47:58 +0100

On 25 Oct 2010, at 05:33, David Wetzel wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have an GSWeb application that does not leak on OS X (using Apple's
> Foundation and -base-add).
> I uses GDL2 and is heavily tested with Apple's instruments.
>
> But on my NetBSD machine it seems to leak.
> How can I track this down?
> Is there anything like instruments?

I don't know about NetBSD specific general leak detection, but GNUstep-base has
some stuff built in (see NSDebug.h) ... this will at least tell you what class
of object is being leaked (unless the leak is in malloced memory rather than
objects).
You might also be able to use valgrind if it's available.  It's a pretty good
tool.
Apart from that there's normally some sort of leak detecting version of the
malloc library available on most systems.