Re: Is our name confusing people....

From: Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: Is our name confusing people....
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 17:28:12 +0100

Hi Gregory,

Am 17.11.2010 um 17:18 schrieb Gregory Casamento:

> All,
>
> I keep wondering if our name is confusing people as to what this
> project is.   Since our name references a bygone standard (namely
> OpenStep) and we have already, admittedly, moved on to being more of
> an implementation of Cocoa than anything else the GNUstep name doesn't
> really convey what the project is CURRENTLY all about.
>
> Does anyone else have any thoughts on this point?

My impression is that people know and expect it to follow Cocoa (and not
OpenStep).
They have much larger problems with installation and/or packages in
distributions.

And from my brand management experience: if you ever have a problem with a
brand, fix the value proposition, communication and quality and don't change
the name... That will even remove the tree you are sitting on.

Just my 2 ct.

Nikolaus