Re: Is our name confusing people....

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: Is our name confusing people....
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 22:30:23 +0100

Hi Gregory,

Am 17.11.2010 um 17:18 schrieb Gregory Casamento:

All,

I keep wondering if our name is confusing people as to what this
project is.   Since our name references a bygone standard (namely
OpenStep) and we have already, admittedly, moved on to being more of
an implementation of Cocoa than anything else the GNUstep name doesn't
really convey what the project is CURRENTLY all about.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this point?

My impression is that people know and expect it to follow Cocoa (and not OpenStep). They have much larger problems with installation and/or packages in distributions.

And from my brand management experience: if you ever have a problem with a brand, fix the value proposition, communication and quality and don't change
the name... That will even remove the tree you are sitting on.

Just my 2 ct.

I second that. Installation from source is a hurdle - but then again: installing GNOME from source is not simpler. But who does this nowadays? Everybody is using the package manager of the respective distribution for that. So we need to make the distributions aware of GNUstep IMHO. Excellent support for the distributions' package maintainers is key here.

Nikolaus

regards,

        Lars