Re: Is our name confusing people....

From: Stef Bidi
Subject: Re: Is our name confusing people....
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:10:34 -0600

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 8:35 AM, Quentin Mathé <address@hidden> wrote:
If we put aside the installation issues, I think the simple way to change how people see GNUstep is to have a better website that shows GNUstep maturity. Few well-thought pages could be good enough to begin with.

That's a good point!  Since you brought it up, I'll mention that currently the GNUstep website just has WAY too much information in it (adding to the confusion) and a lot of that information is redundant.

For example:

* On the front page you have "What is it?" and "What is it for?".  They state exactly the same thing, just in different terms.

* Than, under the "Applications" page there's a link to the Software Index, the wiki's application list, there's even a few applications listed there and a bunch of random links telling you to go all over the place to search for apps.  Oh, and I think you missed it, but there's also a Software Index and wiki app list link on the front page.

* Even finding the API documentation is difficult if you don't know where it is: Developers -> Manuals and Documention -> somewhere in the middle of the page there's 4 links (base, gui and they're additions library).

There are examples of stuff like that all over the website and wiki.  I would say have a look at the GTK+, GNOME and KDE websites... they simply state what the project is about, tells you where to download it (without a comprehensive list of dependencies... that should be part of a install guide and not the download page) and, in the case of GTK+, the API documentation.

I'll also mention that if you've managed to make it to the GNUstep website, you have at least a rough idea of what is.

By the way, I know I do a whole lot of whining, but I'm not going to stop.

Stef