Re: Is our name confusing people....

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Is our name confusing people....
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 18:20:48 +0000

Hi Stef,

I agree with almost all of what you say, but not this:

On 18 Nov 2010, at 18:10, Stef Bidi wrote:

> I'll also mention that if you've managed to make it to the GNUstep website,
> you have at least a rough idea of what is.

I very often get to open source project home pages by seeing their name
somewhere, typing it into a search engine, and hitting the 'official site'
link.  I get there specifically because I want to know what the project is and
why I should care (or, often, why it's a dependency of something I want to
install / have installed), so I think it is important to have a concise
definition of what GNUstep is on the front page (maybe with a link to a history
page for people who want to read more).

One other thing that I've said before:

It really helps to have news on a front page that is updated frequently.  I
write on the Étoilé blog quite often, Gregory blogs about GNUstep, and so do a
few other people.  And yet, the front page is almost never updated.  Having a
side bar that linked to recent GNUstep news / posts really goes a long way
towards making the project appear alive; if people have to check the svn logs
to see if the project is active, they will assume that it isn't.

This email complies with ISO 3103