Re: Changing gui->AppKit, base->Foundation... etc...

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Changing gui->AppKit, base->Foundation... etc...
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 16:03:47 -0500

Richard,

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Richard Frith-Macdonald
<address@hidden> wrote:

> On 18 Nov 2010, at 20:24, Gregory Casamento wrote:
>
>> Guys,
>>
>> I would like to change the names of these things to things that both
>> Cocoa and OpenStep developers are more familiar with.   It would be
>> nice to have them as Foundation/AppKit and etc.   This would make it
>> easier to talk about GNUstep with people without having to constantly
>> say "base, GNUstep's version of Foundation" and the like.
>>
>> I'm working on a patch to make this happen, but I would like to know
>> if anyone has any misgivings about this before I commit it.
>
> Well it rather depends on what you mean by changing the names.  I think it's
> fine to talk
> about GNUstep Foundation and GNUstep AppKit (probably we often do that
> already).

I'm only talking about changing the names in the repository so that it
becomes more obvious to developers what is what.

> But -
>
> On OSX Foundation and AppKit are frameworks ... so you link them in to your
> programs
> differently to the way you link the GNUstep libraries.  There seems nothing
> to be gained (and
> a lot of hassle to be produced for all existing software) by changing the
> library names.

The SO names and the library names wouldn't change.   They would
remain gnustep-base, gnustep-gui, etc.

>  However,  it seems reasonable to add support for building/installing a
> Foundation
> framework and an AppKit framework (which would presumably encapsulate both gui
> and back).  I don't know how well gnustep-make supports frameworks though ...
>  are
> frameworks actually good enough on all platforms for us to want to tell
> people to
> use them in all new programs?

Framework support is really a separate issue.  I'm simply talking
about changing the names of the directories in the repository so that
it's easier to navigate for new developers and users.   But, to your
point, I'm not sure how well gnustep-make supports frameworks
either.... that's a question for Nicola.  Part of the issue as I
understand it is that GNU gcc doesn't support frameworks.

GC
--
Gregory Casamento - GNUstep Lead/Principal Consultant, OLC, Inc.
(240)274-9630 (Cell)