Re: Changing gui->AppKit, base->Foundation... etc...

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: Changing gui->AppKit, base->Foundation... etc...
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 08:46:45 +0100

Gregory Casamento wrote:

Richard,

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Richard Frith-Macdonald
<address@hidden> wrote:

On 18 Nov 2010, at 20:24, Gregory Casamento wrote:

Guys,

I would like to change the names of these things to things that both
Cocoa and OpenStep developers are more familiar with.   It would be
nice to have them as Foundation/AppKit and etc.   This would make it
easier to talk about GNUstep with people without having to constantly
say "base, GNUstep's version of Foundation" and the like.

I'm working on a patch to make this happen, but I would like to know
if anyone has any misgivings about this before I commit it.

Well it rather depends on what you mean by changing the names. I think it's fine to talk about GNUstep Foundation and GNUstep AppKit (probably we often do that already).

I'm only talking about changing the names in the repository so that it
becomes more obvious to developers what is what.

Do you have any evidence that developers have difficulties understanding what -base and -gui are? And that changing the svn repo names would help them?

Also, did you consider that changing these names will break any packaging system that builds from svn?

And how would you explain that people still need -back if they have Foundation and AppKit?

In the end, I think what really counts are not names and buzzwords, but the quality of GNUstep libraries (i.e., stability and completeness) and applications and the ease of installation. As we say in German, "Namen sind Schall und Rauch" (don't known the equivalent phrase in English, but maybe somebody could enlighten me).

Wolfgang