Re: Changing gui->AppKit, base->Foundation... etc...

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Changing gui->AppKit, base->Foundation... etc...
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:51:27 +0000

It's not about buzzword or any b.s. like that.  What it's about is
making it easy for developers who don't have any experience with
GNUstep so that this project can get a much needed boost.

Do I have any "evidence" that we will get that.  No... I don't, but
I'm trying everything I can in order to make this project a little bit
more appealing to people other than the small group we have here.
I'm tired of GNUstep being, more or less, a "boutique" project for
people who "get it."   It's time to make it easier, really.

Conduct an experiment for yourself:  Pretend you're a novice user who
knows nothing about GNUstep and try to get things working relying on
the information you have at your disposal on the website.  Better yet,
get a friend who is a developer, but not familiar with GNUstep to set
it up.   That should illustrate to you just how daunting a task we
have set before our audience.

Yes, I agree with this. The website is key. I agree work on the website would be extremely helpful and good, and that we should study and improve the path that a new user or developer is expected to follow. Make that experience easy and rewarding. Get them to some juicy,
exciting bits quickly :-)

(By the way, we should all try to be very helpful and polite to new users or developers when they
ask questions or talk to us - that really makes a difference)

But I'm not sure changing the names of gnustep-base or gnustep-gui in subversion would help much with it. It seems to be a minor detail. The Apple user/ developer looking for a free Cocoa clone and with a 5 minute attention timespan shouldn't even need to know what gnustep-base or gnustep-gui are to get started; he should be able to get his GNUstep package (appropriate for his OS) that includes all that is needed, and we want him to be up and running playing with Gorm (and Project Center ?)
within minutes, bypassing everything else ... :-)

So maybe the root problem is not with the name of gnustep-base and gnustep-gui, the root problem is that new users have to deal directly with gnustep-base and gnustep- gui instead of being able to get all their GNUstep development tools ready for actions without being bogged down into details ?

Thanks