Re: Changing gui->AppKit, base->Foundation... etc...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Changing gui->AppKit, base->Foundation... etc...
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 16:01:32 +0100

Hi
Conduct an experiment for yourself:  Pretend you're a novice user who
knows nothing about GNUstep and try to get things working relying on
the information you have at your disposal on the website.  Better yet,
get a friend who is a developer, but not familiar with GNUstep to set
it up.   That should illustrate to you just how daunting a task we
have set before our audience.
I do that from time to time, including making a "from scratch" installation of gnustep to see that everything works. It is not as bad as it seems, but admitted the website is unclear in several places and contradicts sometimes itself.
I will try to amend the website in the next days, piece after piece.

However I do not hing that changing the names will help at all! The current names are clear. If somebody takes the time to install gnustep, he will read the guide, will try to be smart and work it out. He will face most probably problems with dependencies, configuration and linking the first time he tries. Changing the names of the libraries/frameworks won't help him there.

Somebody wanting to try out everything in 5mins is already on the bad route and won't be helped by a rename. He will anyway just try hammering things and then either giving up or bashing gnustep. If he reads the documentation it will be only after he made a mess...

Targeting such kind of developers means giving them a ready product. SO either he can get working packages for his operating systems or we provide him a controlled, ready distribution.

AS I discussed with you privately, my idea of doing that is
* a Live CD: but working, with all applications and geared at showing of what we an do and be enough for a "5 minute test". Not a "GNUstep distribution. Gurkan's first LiveCD generated quite some interest, sadly further released were shadowed by bad configuration, bad choices and just "left outs" which made it ridiculous and even negative for us * a working, ready to use virtual image for VritualBox, VMWare or such. This could deliver a working, ready-to use environment where a developer can try hello world and a user launch the GShisen and play a game.

Especially for developers I thing the VM image could be interesting. He could try out GNUstep on Mac or Windows... in a controlled environment. If he likes it he can then install it on his own platform.

It is of course a lot of work. I volunteer to make the first VM image. I call for help for maintaining it and also for developing a Live CD. I will ask Richard Stonehouse for help, we had a discussion about this months ago.

I think thus that renaming is essentially useless and even counterproductive since it adds confusion to existing systems without gaining anything. Especially for "gui" and "back". I think "Base" is perhaps more suited for Foundation. (also if we thing about core foundation).

Riccardo