Re: Problem with GUI

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Problem with GUI
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 14:53:44 +0100 (CET)

>> So, what can we do to make this disruptive behaviour stop ?  It's
>> exasperating.
>
> Two options
>
> 1) Someone who cares about ChangeLogs can ...
>
> 2) Someone who cares about ChangeLogs can ...

It's not about "caring about ChangeLogs" - it's about "coding standards".

If every contributor who doesn't like a specific part of the GNUstep coding
standards was to just ignore them and do whatever they like (in the way that
you are behaving), the project would be a huge, unmaintainable mess.

If you want to take part in a larger project with many other different
developers,
you have to accept that such large projects have well-defined and
well-documented
standards that your submissions have to comply with.

In your own personal pet project you can do anything you want; but when you
take part in
a project that is shared with hundreds of other developers and an unspecified
(not small)
number of users, you have to realize that there are other people - other than
you - who are
working on the project or using it, have different opinions on just about
anything, and
that the only way to get some consistency and quality in the code base is that
everyone
follows an agreed set of standards.  That may mean doing things you wouldn't
normally do,
such as using a different coding style or writing ChangeLog entries or other
things that
are required as standard for contributions to the project.

We can still have discussions and flamewars about whether ChangeLog entries are
good
or bad; but the fact is that all contributions to GNUstep, at this point in
time, are
required to include GNU-style ChangeLog entries.  If you need clarification on
what
that means, you can refer to the GNUstep coding standards:

http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/Developer/CodingStandards/coding-standards.html

As an experienced developer, I would expect that you would have no troubles
doing the small
adapations required to comply with the coding standards of each project that
you contribute
to - and that includes GNUstep.

Thanks