Re: Foundation.h vs. Foundation.h.install (Was: Problem with GUI)

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Foundation.h vs. Foundation.h.install (Was: Problem with GUI)
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 14:23:19 +0000

On 23 Nov 2010, at 14:17, Wolfgang Lux wrote:

> which reminds me of the question I was going to ask for quite some time: What
> is the point of having two different headers in the first place? The headers
> are (almost) identical, so this split apparently just ends up in being a
> maintenance nightmare.

I asked the same thing in the commit message a while ago.

Looking in Foundation.h, I also noted that the contents of Foundation.h seems
to be wrong - it should contain lines like:

#import "NSObject.h"

Instead, it contains lines like:

#import <Foundation/NSObject.h>

This means that it will always grab the header from the installed location
unless someone has provided some compiler lines to rearrange include paths,
when it should always be grabbing the header from the same directory as
Foundation.h.

I didn't like to make this correction in case it was a work around for a broken
compiler somewhere, but Riccardo agreed that it seemed wrong as-is and he's the
person who most frequently uses broken compilers, so it's probably worth fixing.

This email complies with ISO 3103