Re: NSRegularExpression uses unreleased ICU api

From: Stef Bidi
Subject: Re: NSRegularExpression uses unreleased ICU api
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 09:00:45 -0600

I took a quick look at some of the functions you used and in the ICU 4.4.1 documentation is states: "Do not use. This API is for internal use only. ICU 4.4 technology preview".  Maybe there should be some fall back code?

Since we've started requiring libicu recently (NSLocale and NSRegularExpression) it might be a good idea to pick a particular version to be compatible to.  If a newer version is required for a particular feature a check should be made at compile time.  If I'm not mistaken, NSLocale requires 3.8 or above (most functions are stable since 2.0, but a few require higher versions).  I would say requiring 4.0 to build libicu stuff would be a good idea and we can check for 4.4 or 4.6 for additional features.

Stef

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 7:16 AM, David Chisnall <address@hidden> wrote:
On 28 Nov 2010, at 23:29, Eric Wasylishen wrote:

> Hey David,
> Compiling base on Ubuntu 10.10 fails because NSRegularExpression is using ICU 4.6 API (the regex_*UText) functions. We should probably not use these yet as ICU 4.6 isn't yet released. Otherwise, configure needs to be tweaked to require 4.6.
> Eric

That's weird - I have 4.4 installed on FreeBSD and it WorksForMe™.  Maybe the Ubuntu packages do something odd?

In theory, we could avoid using them, but we'd be turning a lot of O(1) stuff into O(n) stuff, which I'm not especially keen to do...

This email complies with ISO 3103