Re: Finishing up NSLocale

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Finishing up NSLocale
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 10:18:36 +0000

On 13 Dec 2010, at 03:19, Stef Bidi wrote:

> So, I have a question... Are we using HAVE_ICU or GS_USE_ICU to determine if
> libicu is around?  HAVE_ICU is defined in config.h and GS_USE_ICU in
> GSConfig.h.  I was originally using HAVE_ICU because that's what gets checked
> in configure.ac.  They mean the same thing, so I'm wondering why we have both?

For C preprocessor conditional compilation it should be GS_USE_ICU ... HAVE_ICU
shouldn't be defined in config.h (I've fixed that).

For some reason (I guess just chance/history) there are actually three
variables for any external dependency ...
HAVE_XXX used within the configure script itsself.
GNUSTEP_BASE_HAVE_XXX used within makefiles ... so we can conditionally build
or not build entire files
GS_USE_XXX defined in GSConfig.h  ... so we can conditionally compile within a
file.

These last two are available to programs which are built using the base library
and gnustep-make ... so they are able to work differently depending on whether
base was built with or without the dependency XXX (so they provide information
about whether a particular feature is present or not).