Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31775 - in /libs/base/trunk: ChangeLog Tools/pl2link.

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r31775 - in /libs/base/trunk: ChangeLog Tools/pl2link.m
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 10:03:10 -0500

Fred,

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 8:04 AM, Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> could you please explain the code in this patch?

Sure...

> I know that our current
> desktop link generation requires some rework, but I don't get the idea
> of hard coding the path to openapp into a desktop link.

During my testing it seemed like GNOME's Window Manager wasn't
respecting the current path in it's Applications menu.   The only
solution was to find it's current location and hardcode it into the
.desktop file so that it could be found when opening the application.
 This didn't seem too harmful to me since the icon also needed to be
hardcoded in order for it to show in the Applications menu as well.

> I would expect that the p2link code runs on the packaging machine which
> may have a different file system layout to the machine where the created
> .desktop file will be used.

Indeed.  Currently it's generated whenever you build an application.
I was assuming that the packager would build in whichever layout they
were going to use for their packages.  So, in that case, wouldn't it
be the same?

> Your code adds support for the case where openapp is not in the path set
> by the environment. But then, if openapp isn't in the path, why would we
> rely on it when starting an application? Wouldn't it be simpler to use
> the full path to the executable in that case?

I felt it was safer since openapp sources GNUstep.sh before running
the application to set up the paths in the application's environment.

> As far as I know the desktop files aren't used heavily for GNUstep
> applications. Still it is great that you try to bring support up to the
> current version of the specification.

The old implementation created files which wouldn't even parse when
running the desktop-file-install utility.

I'm trying to get us to the point where GNOME users won't notice
they're using a GNUstep based application.   So these changes are
something of a work in progress.

--
Gregory Casamento - GNUstep Lead/Principal Consultant, OLC, Inc.
(240)274-9630 (Cell)