NSSearchField remaining issues

From: Doug Simons
Subject: NSSearchField remaining issues
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 12:41:28 -0700

Yesterday I updated NSSearchFieldCell.m (r31911) to fix a number of issues with
things not displaying quite right and with the search menu in particular.
Mostly search fields are now working much better, with behavior that more
closely matches Cocoa.

There are a couple of little things left that I didn't manage to track down,
though, so if anyone else has an idea or cares to take a look that would be
much appreciated. Specifically:

1. Clicking in the search field when it contains text but is not already being
edited causes the insertion point to be placed in front of the text rather than
at the click location. I tried to trace this problem in the debugger but there
are lots of methods involved. It seems to basically be calling the same code as
ordinary text fields, but it doesn't work the same for search fields for some
reason.

2. On Windows, using the WinUX theme, the search menu items don't highlight as
you drag the mouse over the menu. Other popup and pulldown menus are
highlighting fine, and I think this is calling the same underlying code in a
similar way (although I didn't dig into it extensively). So if anyone has an
idea what might be missing here that would be helpful.

Thanks,

Doug Simons
TestPlant, Inc.