Re: Some menus in window don't respond at launch

From: Germán Arias
Subject: Re: Some menus in window don't respond at launch
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 23:14:53 -0600

On lun, 2011-01-24 at 19:59 -0600, Germán Arias wrote:
> There are some non based documents apps (like SimpleAgenda or
> IMPreferences) where it's menus don't respond after launch the app. You
> need move or resize or minimize and deminimize the window, to get a
> functional menu. In other hand, there are apps (like Grr or
> LaternaMagica) that works fine. But I don't see the differences between
> these. Why some works fine and others no? I supposed that the problem
> was that even when the window can become the main window this is not set
> as the main window when get the menu. However, a -becomeMainWindow: at
> launch the app don't solve the problem. Any suggestion?

Well, after watch the info.plist files of LaternaMagica and RSS, these
seems that are using some document-based apps features. For that reason,
currently I don't use anymore these apps to study this problem. Instead,
I am using a simple app made with PC and Gorm. An example that display a
window at launch with the menu in window. Here I discovered an odd
issue. If the window in this example is configured to be displayed at
launch time, the only way to get a functional menu (at launch time) is
call the method -orderOut: in this window and then call -orderFront: or
makeKeyAndOrderFront: or a similar method. This seems to be stupid, but
works.

The most easy way to get a functional menu, is don't display the window
at launch time. And call the method -orderFront: to display the window.
This can be done for example in -applicationDidFinishLaunching:. But as
I know, this is the same method that is called when gnustep load a gorm
file. Then, why this don't work when you configure a window to be
displayed at launch? The odd thing here, is that if you configure the
window to be displayed at launch, and then call the method -orderFront:,
this don't works. Why? Is like if the gorm file set up something wrong.
But really I don't have idea.