Re: Last change in NSMenuView.m

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: Last change in NSMenuView.m
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 14:29:29 +0100

Germán Arias wrote:

The change to open menus with their bottom at the mouse cursor looks
less convincing to me. The real problem with menus is that the gui
blindly expects the window manager to place menus at the intended
position and simply ignores information from the backend when the
window manager has decided to place the menu differently. Rather than
fixing the problem, your patch just alleviates it by reducing the
chance that the window manager interferes with the gui's placement.

Try the patch, add changes, discuss the code or apply it. Regards.

Are you saying that the mouse should be moved to a new position? the
correct position of course. Instead remain at the initial position?

No. What I meant is that NSMenu should update its own frame to respect where the window manager has placed the menu panel.

Of course, Chris's suggestion to use override-redirect windows to enforce our menu placement would be even better. However, it looks like this will need additions to the gui-back interface, since I see no obvious place in the current backend interface to tell it that an override redirect window should be used.

Wolfgang