Re: Base additions on iOS 4?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Base additions on iOS 4?
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 10:13:00 +0000

On 7 Feb 2011, at 21:17, David Wetzel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I made it work and would like to know if I should just commit the per file
> changes back to trunk?
> The XCode project (with modified source files) is at
>
> http://www.turbocat.net/GNUstepBase.zip
>
> A example diff is attached.

Thanks, it's great that you have done this, but committing right now it may be
a bit premature.

I looked at your example, and the first thing I noticed (since it's near the
start) was the +initialize method.
I understand that NSMapTable is not available in iOS (though looking at the
OSX10.6 documentation I don't see where it's deprecated from 10.6 on as your
comment says), and I can see why you replace it with an NSMutableDictionary,
but your code then goes on to do a load of calls like:
[attrNames setObject:(void*)@"XML_ATTRIBUTE_CDATA"
forKey:(void*)XML_ATTRIBUTE_CDATA];
Now, the arguments here should be objects, not void*, and I would expect the
key you are using (an integer constant from libxml2) to cause a crash when the
dictionary tries to retain it.
So I don't understand how this could run (unless I've misread, or the iOS
implementation of NSMutableDictionary is *very* different).

As you are presumably (by my standards at least) an iOS expert, having ported
to it, can you please let me know:
a. how to get gnustep-make on a snow-leopard system to target the iOS
Foundation rather than the Cocoa Foundation or,
b. if you only used xcode, do you know what options we might need to add to
gnustep-make to target iOS?

The reason I ask is that I'm downloading the iOS SDK, and I'd like to try
running the gnustep regression tests on it to see what the differences are.
If we can get gnustep-make and the testsuite to work for iOS on a mac running
OSX, we can run the GSXML regression tests against your ported codebase, and we
can add new regression tests for the features you are using (probably good for
you and good for GNUstep).

Thanks.