Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r32353 - /libs/gui/trunk/Model/IMLoading.m

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r32353 - /libs/gui/trunk/Model/IMLoading.m
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 00:30:17 +0100

Am 24.02.2011 14:34, schrieb David Chisnall:
> Author: theraven
> Date: Thu Feb 24 14:34:21 2011
> New Revision: 32353

> Log:
> Add __attribute__((unused)) on __dummyFunctionForLinking().
>
> Fred: I think this function is completely pointless, and should actually just
> be removed.  Looking at the age, it seems to have been added to work around
> some toolchain limitations that may have existed 15 years ago.  Can you take
> a look, and either remove it, or add a comment explaining why it's needed?
>

> Modified:
>     libs/gui/trunk/Model/IMLoading.m

Not sure here. In NSApplication we have a similar case:

       * Dummy functions to fool linker into linking files that contain
       * only catagories - static libraries seem to have problems here.

But at least there the dummy function gets called some place. We should
ask Adam about all this. He has been around long enough to remember when
all these functions where introduced to GNUstep.