Re: Desktop file generated with wrong path ?

From: Philippe Roussel
Subject: Re: Desktop file generated with wrong path ?
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 23:10:28 +0100

Le jeudi 10 mars 2011 à 16:13 -0500, Gregory Casamento a écrit :
> This is my fault and it's a bug I need to address.
>

> The issue was that the .desktop file was being generated prior to my
> change completely wrong and was absolutely useless in the first place
> as it was being generated assuming that the .desktop file would live
> in the .app directory and would use relative paths.  Unfortunately,
> this is not how GNOME works.   It appears, oddly, that GNOME requires
> absolute paths to everything, the icon, the executable, etc...

Well, almost none of the desktop files on my ubuntu machine have full
paths for the executable. It's just the name of the executable and this
executable has to be in the PATH to be found.

The icon part very often contains only a single name, without an
extension, like for example 'inkspace'. I guess when Nautilus reads the
desktop file it searches /usr/share/icons/$MyTheme$/... for an icon of
the right size named inkspace.svg.

> I need to derive the path in another way which points to the correct
> location and submit that fix.   It may indeed be possible that it will
> never be entirely possible to generate this file automatically and
> have it actually work (and NO... it wasn't working as it was
> before). ;)

Well, if we can install the application and its desktop file
in /opt/GNUstep-trunk/Local/Applications/, it should be too hard to know
that the icon in the application's Resources directory will be located
in /opt/GNUstep-trunk/Local/Applications/MyApp.app/Resources/ and write
that in the desktop file !

Of course if someone installs MyApp.app in a strange location without
using 'make install' (or a packaged version) it will break but why would
someone do that ?

Anyway, maybe I'm missing something obvious...

Philippe