Re: Recent NSMenu changes..

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Recent NSMenu changes..
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 16:24:07 +0100

I finally implemented a solution for this long standing issue. You may now change the displayed characters for the key equivalent modifiers by setting some user defaults. The keys are

GSControlKeyString
GSAlternateKeyString
GSShiftKeyString
GSCommandKeyString

If you use nice Unicode characters (like U21E7 for shift), you can get near the Apple look. If you use empty strings, you can remove these annoying characters all together.

Fred

On 30.01.2007 14:37, Benhur Stein wrote:
On 1/29/07, Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:
Nicolas Roard schrieb:
> On 1/29/07, Gregory John Casamento <address@hidden> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> Perhaps we could put a set of images to represent the key masks
>> needed. The #/+/- scheme adds absolutely nothing and only clutters
>> the interface. It would be better to implement a mechanism which
>> shows some images (pehaps *original* versions of the same symbols used
>> in Cocoa) to represent Control, Command, Shift, and Alt.
>
> Images would be better, indeed. You probably do not need to show the
> shift modifier though -- simply use an uppercase letter (unless it's
> not a letter, of course).

Not sure here. At least reusing the Apple images wont help those of us
that don't use an Apple keybord :-)
Also when displaying images we need another whole set of changes to the
size calculation and drawing code in NSMenuItemCell. Who ever wants to
do this is free to do so, but I wont do anything in that direction.

Why not use unicode characters? That way there would be no need to
insert an image and change calculation, as they are normal characters.
For example, something like U2666 or 25C6 or 29EB could be used for
control (at least in my control key there is a diamond symbol), something
like U21E7 for shift etc. This could be user configurable to better match
the symbols one has in his keyboard. If the default installed font is
dejavu,
we could be sure of having those glyphs in the default installation.

Benhur