Re: Miniaturize a panel

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: Miniaturize a panel
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 10:34:02 +0000

Germán Arias wrote:

With native decoration, trying to miniaturize a panel don't work (I'm
trying on GNOME). Sometimes works, but this is a odd behavior.

Quoting Apple's User Interface Guidelines: “A user would never need to minimize a panel because it is displayed only when needed and disappears when its application is inactive. Therefore, the minimize button is always unavailable. A panel should have the close and zoom buttons or, if you don’t want users to be able to use the zoom button, only the close button.” (http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/ UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/XHIGWindows/ XHIGWindows.html%23//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000961-TPXREF17).

So the problem is that GNOME's window manager displays a miniaturize button in the first place (incidentally, I observed this behavior under KDE and not under GNOME, but then I'm not using either of these environments regularly). The problem is that -back uses Motif style window manager hints to tell the window manager about the intended window decorations and in addition maps window levels onto EWMH window types. Unfortunately, the EWMH standard gives window managers a lot (too much?) of freedom about how to decorate windows and in particular allows them to completely ignore Motif style window manager hints and we end up with panels that are not prepared (or supposed) to be miniaturized but do have a miniaturize button.

Maybe its time to reconsider the use of EWMH window types -back. Actually, I have commented out this code altogether in my local GNUstep tree because the mapping does not work at all with Apple's quartz-wm.

Wolfgang