Re: Connection test failure

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Connection test failure
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 10:00:52 +0000

On 20 Mar 2011, at 00:13, David Chisnall wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> The connection.m test has been failing for me intermittently ever since I
> started running the test suite, but today I finally persuaded it to fail in
> the debugger.  I don't really know the NSConnection code very well, but this
> is the back trace:

I increased the timeout in the test.
But ... that test is not a very good one anyway ... all it's doing is running
the runloop to give another thread a chance to connect back to the main thread,
and seeing if an exception gets raised.  There's no check to make sure that the
other thread actually succeeded in connecting to the main thread, and there's
no mechanism to stop the test earlier if the thread connects quickly, so
increasing the timeout means the test takes longer to run.
This test is really a good candidate for a rewrite  when someone has time.