Re: gnustep-base code freeze

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: gnustep-base code freeze
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 19:24:34 +0200

Hi,
Can we please spend the next few days testing base but not making any changes
other than documentation and any fixes for serious bugs (and perhaps the one
number formatter bug reported by the testsuite).
I'd really like a new base release this month, and there's not much of it left.

Sorry that I was a b it too busy, I dusted out some of my stranger platforms and am testing/building on them. From old SPARC to modern x86/64 :)
One thing I'd quite like to do, but am not entirely sure about ...

Can we take the current svn trunk code and copy it back to the stable branch
(with versioning revisions) so that we can make a 'stable' release which
contains all the new/recent functionality and the support for the latest
compilers and runtimes?   This would have to be binary compatible with the
existing stable base library (I've been trying not to introduce any
incompatibilities, but can other people check this).

The reason I'd like to do this is that having a new release of both the stable
and development branches might get the new features out to people via different
distributions more quickly.  Is this a good idea?

Yes, it sounds so, especially gcc 4.6 support could be interesting as some other bug fixes that were added.

Riccardo