Re: gnustep-base code freeze

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: gnustep-base code freeze
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 05:50:38 +0100

On 24 Mar 2011, at 11:16, Nicola Pero wrote:

>> Can we please spend the next few days testing base
>> but not making any changes other than documentation
>> and any fixes for serious bugs (and perhaps the one
>> number formatter bug reported by the testsuite).
>> I'd really like a new base release this month, and
>> there's not much of it left.
>
> Sounds great. :-)
>
> But there's a few improvement to configure for gnustep-make and gnustep-base
> (to improve detecting support for ObjC exceptions and blocks) which are
> pending.
>
> Shall I go ahead and make these changes in the next day or two, or shall we
> make them after this release ?
>
> I think they are good to have, but would require another few weeks
> of widespread testing in the wild before we can release them.  If you
> want to release quickly, it may be too late ?

Well, we missed the end of the month deadline ... that's a pity, but in part
it's because of finding/fixing a few significant bugs which really need more
time for testing anyway (in particular the changes for the problem David found
on 64bit systems).  There's also the issue that several of the base library
tests fail on mswindows (mostly I think that's errors in the testcases rather
than errors in base, but this needs checking), and NSRunLoop is currently
broken when using garbage collecting rather than reference counting (irrelevant
to most people, but critical to people using GC).

I guess we therefore need a couple of weeks to iron out those last few issues,
so if you can do those changes quickly it would be good to get them in.