Re: OS X and gnustep-base 1.21.1

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: OS X and gnustep-base 1.21.1
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 14:46:11 +0100

On 11 Apr 2011, at 20:34, Ivan Vučica wrote:

> Regarding 3, this looks like the most technical one to me. It doesn't seem
> like blocks_runtime is conditionally trying to use x86_64 assembler.  Could
> someone (David?) comment on this one?

There's no assembly in blocks_runtime.c, but it is using atomic ops.  GCC, for
some braindead reason, decides that if you use these on x86 then it just emits
calls to some runtime support code to emulate them using non-atomic ops[1], but
doesn't actually bother linking them, so you end up with linker errors from
atomic ops.

There seems to be a bug in the GNUmakefile, selecting i586 as the target when
you're targeting x86-64, not IA32.

David

[1] Or just issues the relevant instructions, if you happen not to be using a
386

-- Send from my Jacquard Loom