Re: Default command key under X11

From: Robert Slover
Subject: Re: Default command key under X11
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 17:31:58 -0400

While I agree with Lars that the other tool kits (including windows) have it
wrong, I would not have a problem with the as-shipped default matching other
X11 toolkits.  I would simply set it back to the more sensible definition it
has now, and would then forget about it.  I do not use Gnome or KDE at all
(mostly use aterm and emacs, so I like emacs key bindings to remain unmolested).

The MacOS Keyboard Preferences allow selection of the key code a modifier is
assigned to and assignment of keyboard shortcuts to be controlled
independently, per keyboard.  Changing the modifier assignments doesn't alter
their appearance in menus or anything (e.g., swapping Control and Command
modifiers doesn't suddenly turn lozenge-Q in menus to caret-Q).  It only
effects what the interface believes you held down when it sees certain key
codes.  It would be nice if GNUStep allowed both the modifier assignments and
the string used to represent the modifier in menu entries to be altered by user
preference.  In that way, a user could make the menus actually represent their
keyboard (for example, the goofy Microsoft keyboard I am using right now has an
asterisk on the Control key, instead of the traditional caret symbol, and the
Alt key displays nothing but 'Alt').  That preference pane on the Mac is also
nice in that it lets you assign preferences for menu key bindings both globally
and per-app.  It is very handy when the application is missing bindings for
things you use often.  Setting these does effect menus -- the new bindings
display beside the menu title in every app they effect.

--Robert