Re: Default command key under X11

From: Eric Wasylishen
Subject: Re: Default command key under X11
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 14:06:12 -0600

> Short: Control is for terminal, Command is for GUI – don't mix this

Right. I prefer the Mac keyboard layout myself that has separate physical keys
for these.

My complaint with the default binding applies only to people used to a keyboard
layout lacking separate Command and Control keys, (i.e. all non-Mac users).

The GNUstep default puts the Control function on the best matching physical
key, Ctrl, and puts Command on a 'wrong' key (left alt). One can argue that
this makes sense because Ctrl has an established meaning in the termainal and
emacs. However, I would rather have Command on the best matching physical key
(Ctrl) and Control on some other key, because the cost of having Command on the
wrong key is higher for me than having Control on the wrong key.

I hope I clarified that point of view - both options are equally 'bad' - they
put an important modifier on the wrong physical key. The GS default favours the
terminal key (Control) over the GUI key (Command), which I don't like.

In the end this is a small detail since it's configurable. But I think "good
defaults" are really important in any UI.

Eric