Re: installing on Cygwin

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: installing on Cygwin
Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 08:26:35 +0100

On 5 May 2011, at 18:56, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried installing on cygwin. After successfully configuring make, I get the
> following error:
>
> Riccardo address@hidden /home/multix/modules/core/make
> $ make install
> make: *** /home/Riccardo: Is a directory.  Stop.
>
> I configured with the following options
>
>  $ ./configure --with-layout=gnustep --prefix=/
>
> The windows user name uses the name+surname apparently. I built in a
> directory without spaces an install into /, however probably the script is
> trying to create /home/Riccardo Mottola  without proper quoting or escaping.
>
> I don't believe this is a specific cygwin problem, it is just that under
> windows usernames with spaces are more common.

Usernames with spaces are illegal on most (all?) unix based systems... so that
would make them a lot ore common on windows :-)

You need to set up your environment so that your home directory doesn't contain
spaces.

The alternative is to go through gnustep-make rewriting everything to handle
paths/filenames with spaces, and possibly then go through all makefiles
everywhere doing the same.