Window resizing (X11)

From: Eric Wasylishen
Subject: Window resizing (X11)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 14:26:29 -0600

Hey,
I committed a patch on the weekend implementing the _NET_WM_SYNC_REQUEST
protocol described here:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/1.3/ar01s06.html

There isn't much info about it on the web; the best I could find is from the Qt
blog: http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2009/06/10/smooth-and-solid-resizing-on-x11/

Resizing feels a lot better to me now. The window contents and window manager's
frame stay together about as well as GTK now - not perfect, but better than
before.

When using the window manager's window decorations (i.e.
GSBackHandlesWindowDecorations is not NO) my patch had the side effect of
getting rid of the black flashing when resizing. I was seeing the entire window
repeatedly flash solid black while resizing. I saw this in all WM's I tried
(windowmaker, metacity, enlightenment 0.17). Were other people seeing this as
well? Is it gone now?

When resizing using the GNUstep provided window border the black flashing is
still present, though, so we should probably try to figure out what's causing
that.

Regards
Eric