Re: Window resizing (X11)

From: Eric Wasylishen
Subject: Re: Window resizing (X11)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 15:24:17 -0600

> I can confirm that window resizing looks much better now, I don't see
> the annoying flickering anymore, thanks a lot !

Good to hear!

> Not related to your patch but annoying, I would say that repainting is
> kind of slow compared to gtk. When resizing a GWorkspace window to a
> bigger size (in the icon view for example), the old content is repeated
> in the added area before drawing completes and displays the new content.
> Do you also see this ? With today's computing power I find this strange.

I haven't tried GWorkspace but yeah, I think repainting is a lot slower than it
should be. I have a list of things to investigate at some point:

- for cairo, we do all drawing into cairo image surfaces. Comments I read on
the cairo mailing list suggest using xlib surfaces should be (much?) faster.

- the image drawing code needs reworking. As far as I understand it creates a
window every time an image is drawn. Moving to the image system I implemented
in Opal should bring a big improvement in performance.

- I don't have a lot of faith in the x11 backend code as it's pretty complex
and has a lot of legacy compatibility code. I fear it's doing more X roundtrips
than necessary, but I don't have any evidence to back this up (or X programming
skill..) :-)

These are more or less speculation though, as I haven't seriously profiled
window repainting.

Eric