Re: Window resizing (X11)

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Window resizing (X11)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 23:44:34 +0100

On 16 May 2011, at 22:24, Eric Wasylishen wrote:

> - I don't have a lot of faith in the x11 backend code as it's pretty complex
> and has a lot of legacy compatibility code. I fear it's doing more X
> roundtrips than necessary, but I don't have any evidence to back this up (or
> X programming skill..) :-)

I also don't have concrete evidence to back this up, but I used to use remote
X11 for GNUstep and found that:

- CPU usage was well under 10% at both ends
- Network usage was under 10%
- Apps felt really laggy

This indicates that network latency was a major factor in the performance.  The
RTT for the network was around 1ms, meaning that we can do 1000 synchronous
xlib calls per second.  That should be vastly more than GNUstep needs, which
implies to me that we were doing too many.

Of course, I have no idea whether these were done by the back end, by Cairo, or
by some misconfiguration somewhere...

David

-- Sent from my PDP-11