Re: Window resizing (X11)

From: Philippe Roussel
Subject: Re: Window resizing (X11)
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 22:55:54 +0200

Hi,

Le lundi 16 mai 2011 à 14:26 -0600, Eric Wasylishen a écrit :
> Hey,
> I committed a patch on the weekend implementing the
> _NET_WM_SYNC_REQUEST protocol described here:
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/1.3/ar01s06.html
>
> There isn't much info about it on the web; the best I could find is
> from the Qt blog:
> http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2009/06/10/smooth-and-solid-resizing-on-x11/
>
> Resizing feels a lot better to me now. The window contents and window
> manager's frame stay together about as well as GTK now - not perfect,
> but better than before.
>

> When using the window manager's window decorations (i.e.
> GSBackHandlesWindowDecorations is not NO) my patch had the side effect
> of getting rid of the black flashing when resizing. I was seeing the
> entire window repeatedly flash solid black while resizing. I saw this
> in all WM's I tried (windowmaker, metacity, enlightenment 0.17). Were
> other people seeing this as well? Is it gone now?

I can confirm that window resizing looks much better now, I don't see
the annoying flickering anymore, thanks a lot !

Not related to your patch but annoying, I would say that repainting is
kind of slow compared to gtk. When resizing a GWorkspace window to a
bigger size (in the icon view for example), the old content is repeated
in the added area before drawing completes and displays the new content.
Do you also see this ? With today's computing power I find this strange.

Philippe