Re: ICNS as default format

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: ICNS as default format
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 09:48:32 -0400

Riccardo,

When PNG support was first added, there were endian issues there, so
I'm not certain how implementation or support of ICNS differs in the
amount of support we should give it especially in light of the fact
that it's widely used on Mac OS X.   If there are bugs with handling
endianness, then we should fix them if they are on our side and tell
the author of the library, if they are on his side, if you happen to
be using the library..  I actually don't think the libicns library has
this problem at all.

When using the library, the only feature missing, as I recall, is the
ability to select the appropriate image based on the image size
needed.  This may have changed recently.

Additionally, if you're talking about the external dependency...
regarding it's portability.  Portability is a function of how many
platforms to which the library has been ported.  I've seen packages in
the following distros for it, this is not a complete list, I'm sure:

* Debian 6.0
* Fedora
* SuSE
* CentOS

I'm sure there are others.

Also, without the library, using our drop in replacement, I'm not sure
how you can say that the format isn't portable when Fred's
implementation compiles on every single platform I've ever tried it
on.

Where ICNS currently fails is the ability of image editing programs to
create them which, I suppose, is a major drawback to the format.

Later, GC