Re: Start working on ORA bitmap support

From: Eric Wasylishen
Subject: Re: Start working on ORA bitmap support
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 17:27:25 -0600

On 2011-06-26, at 3:32 PM, Fred Kiefer wrote:

> On 26.06.2011 15:52, Bluna Ratimonkey wrote:
>> Another (and may be most) important bit is that you can mix svg and
>> raster in one file.. ie. you can choose svg on larger size and raster
>> for "hinting" smaller icons.. At this point I think I'll just use
>> image magick for fallbacking and also for converting svg into raster
>> data.
>
> Which just reminds me that we should think about SVG support in GNUstep.

Hi Fred,
I looked at librsvg a bit (here is the latest release:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/librsvg/tree/?id=2.34.0 - the website at
http://librsvg.sourceforge.net/ is out of date). It should be pretty
straightforward to wrap in an NSImageRep, hopefully no more than a few hundred
lines. btw, if you pass it a cairo surface, it will draw directly on that
instead of rasterizing to a bitmap first. Not sure if it would be worth trying
to take advantage of that, but we could.

Also, I started to write an NSImageRep subclass which calls Ghostscript via
NSTask to render ps/eps/pdf's. It's not a very elegant solution but there are
no other viable options I can see.

--Eric