Re: ARC Cleanups

From: Stefan Bidi
Subject: Re: ARC Cleanups
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 10:43:40 -0400

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 5:35 AM, David Chisnall <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I'd like to make some changes to GNUstep so that we can make ARC nice and fast (closer to Lion speeds, not Snow Leopard speeds) by eliminating all of the message sends if we're not linking to any frameworks that do evil things with retain / release / autorelease methods.  These are:

1) Swap the order of the zone and the refcount in obj_layout so that the runtime can manipulate refcounts without having to be aware of the zone pointer (not sure how widely used zones are, and we may want to get rid of this pointer if it's not used in the future).

I'm not currently making use of it but CoreFoundation seems to use zones/allocators quite extensively.  Every Create and Copy function takes a CFAllocatorRef.

Stefan