Re: Pixel-aligned autoresizing

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Pixel-aligned autoresizing
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 10:27:04 +0200

On 2011-07-07, at 4:19 PM, Fred Kiefer wrote:
On 07.07.2011 10:16, Eric Wasylishen wrote:
On a related note, I added a test case for autoresizing to
Tests/gui/NSView/NSView_autoresize_and_rounding.m.

It looks like we have some differences from cocoa unrelated to
rounding, but related to how extra space is divided between the lower
margin, view size, and upper margin when NSViewMinXMargin or
MaxXMargin is combined with NSViewWidthSizable.

I tried to fix the autoresizing behaviour and now it passes the first of your
tests. Looks like we will need to add the pixel alignment to pass the second
one :-)

Ok, great! I committed a slightly improved version of my rounding patch, and
now both tests pass.

It looks like switching to the proportional autoresizing has cause a few
glitches in gui; the colour pickers aren't showing up, and the font panel
doesn't resize properly when stretched horizontally. Hopefully these will be
easy to fix.

Thank you for spotting this. I noticed a strange problem with the NSBox test in GSTest and put in the check if options is greater than 0.0 to work around that. I hadn't noticed the other ones. Most likely there is a common cause (maybe related to negative coordinate?), we just need to find and fix it.

The good thing is that your change requires that people have to recompile all their libraries and applications. This should buy us time to fix the problem before they notice.

Back to the original topic of this thread: Do you think your alignment change allows us to remove the rounding we do in the cairo backend and still get nice results for the normal cases or is more adjustment in gui needed?