NSString's -isEqual: problems

From: Stefan Bidi
Subject: NSString's -isEqual: problems
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 10:42:05 -0500

I just added the missing bits to the toll-free bridging code in corebase but I'm running into some problems when comparing NSCFStrings to other types, like NSConstantString.  The PASS_CFEQ() macro in CFTesting.h calls CFEqual, which in turn calls -isEqual: if either object is an objective-c object.  The CFSTR() macro just turns into @"" when called from within a .m file, and since all test files are .m files all the test strings are an instance of NSConstantString.

That should be enough background... The problem I'm running into is that [NSConstantString -isEqual:] is returning NO on instances of NSCFString.  I tried following the GSEQ_STRCOMP() code in GSeq.h but I can't make heads or tails of it.  I setup a breakpoint in CFStringGetCharacters() and the range passed onto it is {0, 0}.  So it doesn't return anything useful.

Can someone more familiar with the code there shed some light on what might be going on?  I've already had to fix a few bugs in CFString that this exposed, so I've got a mistake somewhere else, but I can't follow the code well enough to figure out where.

Thanks
Stef