Re: Tagged objects

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Tagged objects
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 14:31:57 +0100

On 21 Jul 2011, at 14:22, Thomas Davie wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I wondered if you guys had seen the fun and games that apple have been having
> abusing the last bit of pointers to make boxing and unboxing NSNumbers (and
> some others) much much faster…
>
> http://objectivistc.tumblr.com/post/7872364181/tagged-pointers-and-fast-pathed-cfnumber-integers-in

This is the same 'trick' that LanguageKit has used for a couple of years.  I've
pondered directly supporting it in the runtime for a while, but GNUstep hasn't
been isa-access-free until recently.  Now that it is, I'll probably implement
the same thing in version 1.6 of the runtime.  That will simplify LanguageKit a
lot, because SmallInts can then just be normal objects.