Re: Tagged objects

From: Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: Tagged objects
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 16:13:59 +0200

Am 21.07.2011 um 15:22 schrieb Thomas Davie:

> Hey,
>
> I wondered if you guys had seen the fun and games that apple have been having
> abusing the last bit of pointers to make boxing and unboxing NSNumbers (and
> some others) much much faster…
>
> http://objectivistc.tumblr.com/post/7872364181/tagged-pointers-and-fast-pathed-cfnumber-integers-in

Nice idea. I hope they have not tried to patent it.

Here is some prior art:

"DYNAMIC MEMORY MANAGEMENT FOR APL-LIKE LANGUAGES", Rodnay Zaks, Universite de
Technologie de Compiegne, France, Proceedings of ACM SIGPLAN-SIGMICRO Interface
Meeting, Arden House, New York, May 30-June 1, 1973.

Even older than Apple, Inc. :)

-- hns